Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dirty Necks--Black Beads




Wrinkled necks















Years ago when I was a kid we used to tease kids with dirty necks and say they were wearing black beads.


Sweat and dirt would collect in the wrinkles of the neck and make a solid line of black in the wrinkles--thus making other kids say they were wearing black beads. The pictures above show the necks of adults but kids also had wrinkles in their necks and would get the black beads.


When kids played in hot humid weather the dirt would collect in the creases of their neck forming the black beads.


Along with that people also collected toe jams between their toes. Hot sweaty feet formed the little balls of dirt between the toes and we called them toe jams. I remember as a kid cleaning the toe jams off my toes when my shoes were removed.


You might wonder why I thought of such a yucky thing to write about. Well, I just happened to remember it and when I think of something I write about it--yucky or not!


I am thinking now of going to bed--but first I have to take off my black beads and remove my toe jams!



3 Comments:

At June 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT A HOOT!!!!

 
At June 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember playing outside during the summer. When we went inside, Mama would get a wet wash cloth and scrub the black beads off our necks. And that made us truly rednecks!

 
At March 13, 2015 at 12:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you take it off, I mean I've been washing and washing my neck for a while now, but it wont take off.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home