Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Doll in the Window


Back when I was in elementary school in Paris, Texas, I used to have to walk to school--not five miles but maybe one or one and a half. I took many different routes to get home. It was fun to find all the different streets that would lead me to home.


One of the streets was Pine Bluff. It was a more direct way to take and usually the one I took. There was a two story house on Pine Bluff which I always passed on the way to and from school. In one of the upper story windows, which was a small one, there was always a doll sitting there. It was a very pretty doll, much prettier than the one in the picture above, from what I could tell from so far away.


I always looked at the doll for as long as I could see it from the sidewalk. I longed to see it up close and hold it in my hands, but, of course I never could.


I can see to this day, in my mind's eye, that doll and how cute it looked. I have not been on that street for many years but I often wonder if the doll could possibly still be there! I am sure it isn't because that has been at least 70 or more years ago. Maybe the house isn't even still there!


However, time or nothing else can take my memory of that cute little doll sitting there in that small window.

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you'll come back to Paris for a visit, I'll drive you down Pine Bluff and we'll see if we can find the house. Quite a few of the old ones are still standing -- unfortunately, the school isn't.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home