Friday, January 21, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa Couldn't Read or Write





Pictured above are my grandparents. They were my mother's parents. Also pictured is a family reunion which shows most of their descendants--only a couple are missing.
Neither of my grandparents could read or write in their early years. They never attended school. Later on my grandpa learned to read in some fashion, I'm not sure how but he did learn to read the newspapers and bible. My grandmother also learned to read in the bible. However, neither of them ever learned to read cursive writing. So when they got a letter written in cursive writing they always had to have someone read it to them.
You would think that with all of those descendants they could have somehow learned from one or more of them to read and write cursive writing.
When they got a check and had to sign it they always signed with an X. I can not believe with as many children and grandchildren they had that some of them did not try to teach them to read cursive writing.
I know that education was not emphasized back in those days as it is now but I would have gone through hell and high water to learn how to read and write somehow even on my own.
I try, even at my age, to learn something new every day. I am not the world's smartest person but it is not because I don't try to keep learning all the time.
If I don't know something I work hard to find it out before I give up. Then I check it out in other ways to find the answer! But then, this is the 21st century, not the 18th!

2 Comments:

At January 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand why so many back then didn't read or write. I would think time would have been a luxury back then. Their work days were from sun up to sun down, and I'll bet when the work day was over they were too exhausted to learn anything.

 
At January 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Kyra! We've missed our posts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home