Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bed Bugs







I am sure you have seen and heard about the comeback of bed bugs. It may be mostly in hotels, apartment houses and other public places. But there are probably many private homes infested also.
It all reminds me of a classmate of mine when I was in grade school.
I used to walk to school and I passed her house as I did so. I would stop and wait for her to get ready and then we walked to school together. I didn't do this every day but I often did.
One morning as I waited for her to dress she dragged a box out from under her bed and picked her clothes out for the day. They didn't have a closet so she kept her clothes under the bed in a box. Before she put on her clothing she was going over all the areas of the clothes and picking off something. I was puzzled at first but then I realized she was picking off bed bugs from her clothes. She seemed a little embarrassed but she continued to pick the bugs off.
Long ago in the south it was common to have bed bugs but most people used something to control them. I remember my mother using yellow, oval boxes of some kind of a powder. You squeezed the box and the powder came out in a puff. If you used that regularly you could control the bed bugs.
Then in the 1940's DDT came along and it pretty much abolished bed bugs and roaches. My Dad worked for the city and the city would spray your house for free to get rid of roaches and bed bugs. For many years you didn't hear much about bed bugs. But lately they seem to have come up out of the ashes.
I think that now, anyone who has bed bugs is just not trying to control them because there are many ways to fight them. Exterminators can easily get rid of your pests if you call them.

1 Comments:

At March 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The resurgence of bed bugs is largely due to the enviromentalist ban of DDT back in the 1970's. While the EPA has no documented cases of deaths due to DDT exposure, we do know that DDT saved millions of lives by virtually wiping out malaria carrying mosquitos. Since its ban, malaria deaths have surged. Banning DDT falls into the same category as climate change hysteria - junk science.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home