Friday, March 11, 2011

Potato Sandwiches




I was shocked to see all of the talk about potato burgers and potato sandwiches on Face book a day or two ago. I thought I was the only person to remember about them from when my mother used to make them for my lunches. Would you believe that I still, to this day, make myself a potato sandwich about once a week or so? When I don't know what I want or can't come up with another idea, I turn to my old faithful, the potato sandwich.
I googled the potato sandwich and I was amazed at how many kinds of them were on there. However. the potato sandwich I make was not like any of them. There were so many listed that had all kinds of other stuff on them. The ones I make are just plain potato sandwiches. I sometimes fry round potato slices and put them on bread and spread mustard on them--that is a potato sandwich! Other times I might bake the potato in the microwave and then slice it for the sandwich. Either way, it is scrumptious.
When I was a kid and my mother made them for my lunch she did it because we didn't have a lot of money and could not always afford to have meat sandwiches. Also, she usually made my sandwiches with biscuits because we didn't always have bought bread on hand. I remember being embarrassed for other kids to see my biscuit sandwiches. Now there would be no need to be embarrassed about having potato sandwiches on biscuits because about a week ago I paid $3.49 for ten pounds of potatoes. That is not cheap!
If you have not tried a potato sandwich lately, do so, because they are GOOD! You can put whatever else on your sandwich you would like but I like my true potato sandwich with just potato slices and mustard.

1 Comments:

At March 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add some onion and/or green tomato relish. We put ours on hamburger buns until I became diabetic. Now, I slice the potato rounds, toss them in about a TBSP of olive oil, and bake them on a cookie sheet. Then we eat them on whole wheat bread. Not as good as the good old potato burger and not the ideal diabetic meal, but definitely an acceptable substitute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home