Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Man on Page 602



Back in 1975 there was a big stir over the new edition of the Sears catalog. I actually had that catalog until about a year ago.


I was cleaning out old things and trying to condense my stock of mementos and possessions down to a manageable amount. I saw that catalog and I thought, Why am I hanging on to that? So I tossed it out--big mistake!


I just recently thought of the catalog as a subject for a post. I could have used the picture of the catalog and of the man on page 602. But, sadly, My catalog is long gone in the trash. Luckily for me, I found this picture on Google.


The big stir was over the picture on page 602 shown above. It is not really very clear in this picture but just to the left of item # 6 the man has exposed his privates down from the left leg of his shorts.


Eventually, Sears explained the phenomenon away as a printing blemish but by then it had already been immortalized by country singer jack Barlow in a popular novelty song entitled, "The Man on Page 602."


Some people were convinced that it was the real thing while others scoffed.


I am somewhat mesmerized by the prices listed for the underwear-- 3 pair for $3.67. You would be lucky now to get one pair for that price!


Whatever, I sure wish I had hung on to my catalog--it might have brought a big price on e bay!

1 Comments:

At October 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiousity, I checked ebay. There are a few of the catalogs listed, some as high as $36, but no bids! One is even listed with the Barlow record at a starting price of $2.20, but it doesn't have any bids, either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home