Thursday, October 9, 2008

Texas Centennial--1936





In 1936 I was almost ten years old. At our school they were sponsoring a train trip to Dallas where the Texas Centennial was being celebrated. Anyone going to school there along with any members of their family could take the train to Dallas to attend the Centennial.The trip was
offered at reduced rates so almost everyone was able to participate if they wished.

After much discussion and thought my Mother and Dad decided that she would go and take my sister and me on the trip.

There was much excitement and fun going on as we planned for the trip. We were to leave on a morning about 8:00 or near that.

As luck would have it on the morning of the trip I woke up sick as a dog and there was no way I could go anywhere.

My mother decided that she would go anyway and take my sister and, since my Grandmother lived with us, she would stay with me.

So my Mother and sister got ready and took a taxi to the train depot to catch the train. For some reason, either because the train left early or they got there too late, they missed the train. So that was then end of the Texas Centennial for all of us!

I was greatly disappointed because I really thought it would be a grand thing to attend a Centennial even though I had no idea what a centennial was! That was the only chance I ever would have to attend a Texas Centennial.

I can still remember the pain I felt because I was too sick to go with them. I don't think my sister cared that much that she missed going because she was only about five years old at that time.

1 Comments:

At October 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a shame you had to miss it! Did you know that Fair Park in Dallas has one of the largest and oldest collections of art deco buildings? They were built for the centennial. The Dallas Historical Society has restored the Hall of State, and it is an absolutely beautiful building. I have a pair of salt and pepper shakers from the Texas centennial. I've thought about selling off my collection, but if I do, I'll keep those.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home