Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Aunt Ruby Mae and Uncle Clifton

My Aunt Ruby Mae and Uncle Clifton



When I was in grade school I often went to my Aunt and Uncle's house after school and would spend the night with them. I went as often as about every two weeks. I loved going there.


Most of the time my Aunt would make hamburgers because she knew I loved them. My Uncle would eat as many as three hamburgers for his supper time meal--so he loved them also!


After supper they would turn on the radio, that was before TV, and we would listen to a lot of the old radio shows; I can't remember the names of all the shows but George Burns and Gracie Allen was one of them. And then there was one that had Baby Snooks on it which I loved listening to. Mr. District Attorney was another show that we listened to.


Then it was off to bed because my Uncle had to get up and go to work and I usually had to go to school the next morning.


For a period of several years I followed this pattern of visiting them. Finally, as I grew older I drifted away from that pattern. They had a baby then and were busier.


But I enjoyed going there and spending an evening with them so much. I still remember how much I liked listening to the old radio shows because we never listened to them at my home.


Their name was O'Dea and I thought that was an unusual name because of the apostrophe. It was an Irish name. My Aunt was my Dad's younger sister.


They are no longer living but I still reminisce a lot about my good times there!

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our library has most of the old radio shows on tape, and I used to check them out and listen to them while I was driving. I like "My Favorite Husband" and "The Shadow." I remember Mama talking about "Stella Dallas," but I've not listened to any of those.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home