Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mother in Vinegar







Did you know vinegar has a mother? It is the slimy, gelatinous material that is found in unpasteurized vinegar. In general it is the growth of acetic bacteria which is responsible for turning alcohol into vinegar.
There are health benefits of the mother of vinegar. It may look unappetising but it is completely harmless to eat. Two spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar can be taken daily as a supplement to a healthy diet and exercise.
We don't see mother in the vinegar at the grocery store because they have pasteurized it. People have demanded the clear vinegar instead of the ugly mother kind. Actually, the mother would be better for us.
I admit I don't want the stringy, slimy stuff in my vinegar. I want apple cider vinegar without a mother! I use a lot of vinegar; in my salads, on cucumbers, and in potato salad. I would be lost without my motherless vinegar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home