Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Say That Again!

Pig's feet




















Have you heard of souse? Chow chow? Pourdoo? Pickled pig's feet ? They are all dishes from the past. Actually, I guess they are still around in some hidden area of the grocery store because Ekrich makes meats and Souse is pictured in their products. My niece, Debbie, bought me two jars of pickled pig's feet last summer as a gift. We had been discussing them and the next time she came she had these two jars for me. I thoroughly enjoyed them! Pourdo is probably not in the grocery store. Chow chow is probably not called chow chow anymore but it is still made with the same ingredients as in the olden days. Chow chow is a relish used as any other relish is used, on meats and sandwiches.


Pourdoo, originally called poordo, is a dish made from leftover biscuits and milk. It is mixed up into a batter and then fried in a skillet or baked in the oven. My mother used to make it when she had leftover biscuits. It is called pourdoo because it is a poor do for a meal! The name evolved into pourdoo over time. It was mostly made for a Sunday night meal when nothing else was available.


The chow chow and pourdoo is made from normal foods that don't repulse you. But, souse is made from pig's feet, tongue, ears, and other repulsive parts of a pig and has vinegar and spices added to it I don't think I ever ate souse in my life. but my mother used to make it. Actually, we probably eat the same pig parts in other things that meat makers produce but what we don't know won't hurt us-- I hope!

The name, souse, just makes you wonder what it is. When I hear the word chow chow I think of chow dogs! Why they ever chose chow chow for a name is beyond me. And pourdoo is even more curious. Of course we don't know all of their thoughts and reasons behind the names they chose for the stuff they ate.
Anyway, I think I will pass on the souse. I might eat pourdoo and chow chow. I certainly would eat pickled pig's feet!




2 Comments:

At January 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love chow chow. Grandma used to make some good chow chow. She sometimes got a little generous with the peppers in it and it was hot, but that just made it better in my estimation.

I'll pass on the souse and pigs feet, though!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM , Anonymous Ace Kadet said...

Souse is a head cheese, but with a vinegar taste in the aspic. Pork snouts, cheeks and vinegar gealtin, what's not to love?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home