Thursday, January 27, 2011

Doodle Bugs







Back many years ago when I was just a kid--how many times have I said that?-- I used to hunt for doodle bugs. They were found in sandy spots and their homes were little indentations in the sand like in the picture above. We would take a stick, or sometimes just use our fingers, and twiddle it around in the middle of the indentation and say a little chant like, doodle bug, doodle bug fly away home or some other little poem, until the doodle bug would come out. Sometimes they never did but once in a while we would get lucky and the bug would come out.
I have not seen a doodle bug in all the time since then. The bugs were not good for anything and I don't know why we were so excited when one came out. It was just fun to mess around with them.
Thank God I now have more exciting things to do than look for doodle bugs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home