Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Big Spender!

When I was about 4 or 5 years old we lived very near a grocery store. My mother would occasionally send me to the store for various items. I did not have to cross any streets and with things being much safer then than now, she felt it was OK for me to go alone.


One day she sent me to the store and told me to get 25 cents worth of beef steak (it isn't a joke, at that time she could get enough steak for our meal for that amount!). So I was off to the store. I came home with about the right amount of steak and my mother cooked it.


Later, when she talked with the store owner he told her that I had asked for a dollar's worth of steak. He said he realized that she never bought that much at one time so he asked me if 25 cents would be OK. He said I answered, "Yeah, I guess that is OK." Since she had her groceries put on a bill for charges she really didn't know how much the steak had cost. I don't know why I said I wanted a dollar's worth, maybe I was extra hungry!

2 Comments:

At April 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The grocer knew you and your sisters well -- one of you (I believe it was SV) was sent one time for a box of White Swan mincemeat and a loaf of Buttercrust bread. Grandma was later told you had asked for "White Swan Buttercrust mincemeat bread."

 
At April 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did get the whole thing in there! I don't remember if she got both items or not,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home