Friday, April 4, 2008

The Black Doll

When we were little kids our Uncle Gola came visiting us one Christmas Eve. He was unpredictable so we had no idea he was coming. He had a sack full of gifts for all of us. I don't have much memory of what all the gifts were except for one, which really stands out in my memory.



He brought my sister a little black baby doll. Why he picked black, I have no idea. Anyway she was thrilled with it and took it to bed with her at bedtime. The next morning she got up and was covered with black marks all over her face, arms and hands. The paint on the doll had melted and came off while she slept-- probably from her sweating and rubbing on it. We all had a good laugh at her expense. She was not too happy. We told her she was part black now!

I can imagine that the paint probably had lead in it, but that was before lead was a big concern as it now is. Uncle Gola was apologetic about the whole thing but the damage was done. I think maybe the doll ended up in the trash bin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home