Monday, April 14, 2008

Have You Read the Complete Bible?

I am ashamed to admit that, at my age of 81, I had never read the complete bible through until a couple of years ago. I had read parts of it and randomly skipped through at times but I had never actually read the complete bible. I decided that if I were ever going to do it I should begin now!



I purchased a set of cassette tapes with the complete bible recorded, old and new testaments. I started out listening to one side of a tape, 45 minutes, each day. I did miss some days but I tried my best to get one side in every day. I can't remember just how long it took but I did finish the whole bible in a matter of a few months.




I really had to discipline myself while listening to the tapes. I found if I didn't really concentrate I would catch my mind wandering. I just considered that 45 minutes part of my worship for the week.



Then I started listening to the tapes the second time. The second time I began to get a little more out of it. I probably got about half way through and I saw a commercial on TV for a DVD with the bible recorded on it. I did not even have a DVD player but that sounded more appealing to me than just listening to the cassette tapes.


My grandson had a DVD player that he was not using so he gave it to me (maybe he loaned it to me!). For Christmas my daughter gave me the Bible on DVD. Now I had all I needed to read and listen to the bible. It is much more meaningful to read and listen at the same time. Now I am well on my way to reading the bible the third time. Each time I read through I remember more and get more out of what I read. The tapes or the DVD were not really that expensive and you can use them over and over again, I am not really anxious to die but at least when I do I can say I did read the complete bible-- can you say that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home