Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pipe Cleaning

My dad used to smoke a pipe. You hardly ever saw him without a pipe in his mouth. He would also occasionally smoke a cigar, but never smoked cigarettes. He did finally quit smoking the pipe or anything else after he had a stroke and couldn't handle the pipe very well.

He always kept a package of pipe cleaners handy to clean his pipe every so often. I would beg him to let me clean his pipe. You took the long fuzzy pipe cleaners and poked one of them into the mouthpiece of the pipe and then pushed it clear through and out the other end of the pipe stem. This ugly brown, yucky stuff, which was the nicotine, would be pushed out by the pipe cleaner. You did that two or three times and then the pipe would be clean. I loved doing that.


I think that when Daddy died he still had most of the pipes he had ever owned! For some reason he never threw away an old pipe. I don't think he ever went back to an old pipe to smoke but he did like to keep them. He had an old round Prince Albert tobacco can out in his little shed and he kept all of his old pipes there.



After my Dad died we put his old pipes in a garage sale and some young kid bought every one of them. He collected pipes. Daddy would have been pleased to see that his old pipes had brought in a couple of dollars. He would have happily added that to his bank account!

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2008 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew that you use to clean your daddy's pipes! How come you never mentioned it before?

 
At April 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never tried sneaking a cigarette -- I always found them disgusting. But I did try to smoke Grandpa's pipe one time. I sucked some tobacco down my throat and thought I was gonna' die!

At Christmas, we always knew what to get Grandpa -- a big tin of Prince Albert tobacco. There was another brand he occasionally smoked, too, Bond Street I think it was. I sure would like to see him now sitting in his chair with his pipe and his crossword puzzle!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home