Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Little Gold Mine!

I once ran into a little gold mine. There was this small discount store which sold items which were discontinued, package damaged or cans without labels. The first time I went there I was in seventh Heaven. They had all these cans that had lost their labels and there was no way to know what was in them. They were selling them for 5 cents apiece!


I grabbed all of the cans and placed them in a box. I didn't care what was in them! Actually, when I got them home and gradually opened them almost every one was a can of something that we could use--maybe corn, soup, peas or some other useful thing. I only remember a couple of times I got something which could have been dog or cat food--no way to know-- so it was tossed out. We had a surprise vegetable or fruit for almost every meal for some time.


Once I opened one can which was full of a liquid of some kind containing whole peanuts in the shell. It was pitched too. Later I heard from someone who said that down in the South somewhere they did use those for something.

Sadly, the next time I visited that store they had raised their prices on the label less cans to 10 cents instead of 5 cents--which was still a bargain!. Then even sadder was when they eventually closed the store. They were selling their "stuff" too cheap!


So, I lost my little corner of grocery Heaven.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home