Friday, April 11, 2008

An Old Wives' Tale

When one of my sisters was born she developed a common ailment among new born babies, called "Thrush." Thrush is actually a yeast infection, or fungus that occurs naturally in the mucous membranes of the mouth and on the skin. The use of antibiotics during pregnancy promotes the overgrowth of yeast by killing off the 'good' bacteria that normally keep the yeast from multiplying too quickly. During pregnancy, yeast infections are more common because high levels of estrogen lead to elevated levels of sugar and yeast feeds on sugar making you more susceptible to yeast infections and Thrush. The mother can also have Thrush.

All that being said, my mother had heard this old wives' tale that if someone who had never seen his, or her, father-- if their father had died before they were born--would blow his breath into the baby's mouth it would cure the Thrush. How unbelievable!



Anyway, my mother was at her wit's end to get rid of the Thrush in my sister's mouth. She happened to know a man who was eligible to cure the Thrush. His father had died before he was born. So she and my dad went to him and asked if he would perform the procedure on my sister. He did so.

Miraculously. the Thrush went away in just a day or so! Perhaps not miraculously, but coincidentally. The information I read said that Thrush could go away quickly and possibly even without treatment. So I am sure that was the reason for the Thrush going away and not because someone blew his breath into my sister's mouth! Of course You would never make my mother believe anything except that he had done the miraculous cure!




Watch out for those OLD WIVES' tales!

6 Comments:

At April 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the procedure done, too. My sister had the thrush when she was born. Despite several weeks of medicine, the thrush persisted to the point that her mouth was bleeding. Grandma insisted she be taken to someone who had never seen their father. A neighbor lady knew a lady whose father had died before she was born, and she put Mama in touch with her. The lady said she had helped several babies with the illness. I watched the lady as she laid the baby on her lap, gently touched her lips, leaned over, and exhaled into her mouth. In a couple of days, the thrush was gone. Mama was a little intimidated by our family doctor, and she said she just laughed to herself when he said the next week, "Looks like that medicine did the trick."

 
At August 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Pon Dace said...

My Dad was a "Thrush Doctor". He passed last year and would not like me telling this. However It is apart of our heritage in the southern Appalachian mountains of Virginia and these stories should be told.

I do need to point out that my Dad did not believe for one second that he could cure the Thrush by blowing in a baby's Mouth. His mother, my grandmother did believe. Thru out Dad's youth in the 1920s and 30s people would bring their babies to him. He was embarrassed and hated having to do it.

I do remember along in the mid 1960's when I was about 11 or 12 years old there was a young couple called him for the cure. My dad tried to discourage them and tell them to see a real doctor. He also at the time was sick with a bad cold. He knew he would make their baby even more sick. But they insisted and said they were coming by anyway.

At that time my dad hung up the phone, spoke to my mom and went out the back door and did not return to the house for about five hours. What he had done was to go straight out the door and walked to the other side of his 50 acre farm and straight to the top of the mountain and waited until about 11pm to return.

The best I can remember this is the last time anyone actually ask him to blow in to a baby's mouth.

 
At October 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 7wk old grandson that was being treated for thrush, he was put on a prescription that required giving him 4 doses a day, after one week there was no improvement at which time they prescribed him a stronger Med, this didn't seem to be helping much either and then a family friend related the old wives tale that said if someone who has never seen their father blew three times into the child's mouth that it would get rid of the thrush, I found this story to be totally ridiculous but having the infants half brother who has never seen his father at hand I figured we had nothing to lose so we gave it a try, YES the thrush went away in less than 48hrs !! Now maybe the meds finally did their job or maybe.........

 
At June 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As crazy as it sounds, IT WORKS ! My dad's father died before he was born and I have witnessed the thrush going away in less than a day with many of babies that have been brought to him throughout the years including my own! He will not let anyone see him do it and has even done it right in front of me without me seeing lol crazy but true

 
At July 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound unreal but it is true! We always wondered how our family friend could cure thrush and then my mother told me this wives tale: anyone who hasn't met their father can cure thrush.

 
At August 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really does WORK, I've done this many times. It started in grade school and right on in to high school. It only happened once after I was married and had two children. I'm 73 now and I think God gave this talent to the ones whose father died before they were born. I think you have to have Faith that it will work and the parents of these children really did and so did I. So never underestimate the Power of God, just believe.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home