Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'll Take Mine Well Done!

Many people like their meat rare. I do not like even pink meat on my plate. However, in New Jersey they eat raw hamburgers--at least they did in 1944.


I was there during WWII while my husband was stationed at Trenton, New Jersey at an army camp. We went to some of the restaurants to eat and we began seeing these people ordering hamburgers and when they came they were raw meat. We could not believe our eyes when they ate them completely raw. They were on buns just like other hamburgers but were not cooked at all. Later we were told that many people there liked the raw meat.


Another thing we found was that they did not take the insides out of their chickens before they sold them. We bought chickens at an outdoor market and when we got them home we found that all the entrails were still inside --and they smelled bad! That was back in 1944--I am sure that today they surely cannot sell them that way.


Those two incidents left me with a bad impression of New Jersey.

1 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you -- don't want my hamburger mooing at me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home