Monday, May 5, 2008

Records and CDs

I have a terrible time keeping up with electronics--the musical kind. I had a beautiful collection of 78 RPM records back in the 1940s. Then suddenly, I realized that they were becoming obsolete because of the 45 RPM craze. I still hung on to my 78s but I gradually began to collect the 45s. Eventually I had built up my 45 collection and then I saw that it was being outmoded by the LP albums. I could hardly keep up! By the time I managed to get a few LPs together then 8-tracks became the new thing. 8-tracks didn't survive long before Cassettes took over. Finally, CDs are now the thing.




So, being one to never throw away things I have a vast array of 78, 45, and LP records , 8-track tapes, cassettes and CDs. I have finally given up on the 78 records because they sound so horrible. I do have a couple of songs that I really hate to give up that are on 78 records. I have searched everywhere for the same songs on other playing sources and cannot find them. I assume that they were never recorded on anything except the 78 records. Now, I think that they must not even make players for 78 records. At least I have not seen them anywhere. I do have an ancient record player that will play at 78 record speed but it is on its last legs and cannot be repaired.




I still have all of my records, tapes, cassettes and CDs and I have the players for all of them. I find that CDs are the most enjoyable because I can put on 5 CDs and listen for about two hours without having to get up and change anything. Tapes are better than single records. At one time I had a player that let me put on a stack of 45 or LP records and that was nice. Now, however, the players all will only play one record at a time. So you have to keep busy changing them.




I am just waiting for the next thing to pop up that will out date all of my musical library! I am sure it will come--how else can the musicians make money without selling new versions of their songs?









1 Comments:

At May 6, 2008 at 7:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to most people, cd's are becoming outdated. Everyone has mp3 and ipod.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home