Sunday, May 4, 2008

Koolickle--The kool-Aid pickle

I decided to do this post on kool-Aid. I Googled it to find out exactly the year it was invented and I found out a lot more than I had hoped for!



Kool-Aid was invented in 1927 by Edwin Perkins in Hastings, Nebraska. I was one year old at that time. Later when I was about 4 or 5, we lived right across the street from a tiny grocery store. One day a man came to the store and was outside in front of it passing out samples of something. He told me, and my friend, to go home and get a quart of water and bring it to the store. We did so and he put a teaspoon full of some red powder into the water. He said go home and put some sugar in it and drink it. We did and that was my introduction to Kool-Aid. I think the flavor was either cherry, strawberry or raspberry because it was red. It was very good I thought.


The original flavors of Kool-Aid were strawberry, cherry, lemon-lime, grape, orange and raspberry. I know that now there are many more flavors but I can't recall all of them.



Now that I googled Kool-Aid I found that a new thing has been invented--the Koolickle or the Kool-Aid Pickle. The pickles originated in the Mississippi Delta, and seem to be of fairly recent provenance. Typically, the Kool-Aid pickle fans were born sometime after Bill Clinton moved into the White House.


The Kool-Aid pickles are made by using large dill pickles and double strength Kool-Aid. You put a gallon jar of dill pickles, split in half ( the Pickles, not the jar) into the double strength Kool-Aid , add a pound of sugar and let them soak for about a week. The red flavor family is most popular. If you Google Kool-Aid you will find much more information there.


Children are the primary consumers of the Koolickle but the market for Kool-Aid pickles is maturing. So far no patent application has been filed. The name Kool-Aid is a trademark owned by Kraft Foods. A senior manager of corporate affairs at Kraft stated that , "We endorse our consumers finding innovative ways to use our products."


I am not sure I would like the Koolickle but I am willing to try it just for the kick out of it. But I do drink a lot of Kool-Aid during the summer time--quite refreshing on a hot summer day!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home