Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Our Picket Fence

When we bought our first home back in 1952 it was a brand new home and had no lawn, landscaping or anything except for the house.

I decided immediately that I wanted a white picket fence around our back yard. There was some discussion about the fence--I wanted a white picket and my husband wanted a chain link. I had on my side the fact that the picket fence was much cheaper than the chain link. So we decided on the picket fence. I promised that I would do all of the painting.

Since we were not overloaded with money we were going to install the fence ourselves. We bought the pickets and posts and had them delivered to our house. I decided that painting the pickets would be easier to do before the fence was installed. So I got my bucket of white paint and set up to paint in our utility room. It was still winter so it would be warmer and the paint would dry better in the house. I painted and painted, and painted, and then painted some more! I leaned the pickets up along the washer and dryer to dry.

Finally, after a few weeks I had all of the pickets painted one coat. I decided that I would put the second coat on after the fence was installed.

When spring came and we could install the fence then I started painting the second coat. I painted and painted, and painted and then painted some more. I finally got the whole thing painted and amazingly it looked great.

However, when it wore out about 15 or 20 years later we decided to get a new fence. You'd better believe it was a chain link fence!

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2008 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those home improvement projects always look a lot easier than what they turn out to be!

 
At December 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Vinyl Fences Toronto said...

Homeowners should make use of fences to protect their respective properties. I have seen several designs of fences on .... that are proven to be high quality and affordable.

Privacy Picket Fence

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home