Friday, June 6, 2008

Double Talk

My husband was in the service and when I met him he was introduced to me by the name Ford. That is his last name. His first name was LeRoy and he hated his first name. So from the time I met him until the day he died he was "Ford." My whole family called him Ford.


We visited my sister quite often in Texas. Her son Steve, who was probably about 5 or 6 at the time, knew Ford only as "Ford." Once he was asked by some friends of my sister what Ford's name was . He replied,"Ford." The friend said, "I mean what is his last name?" Steve replied, "Ford." The friend said, Do you mean his name is "Ford Ford?" Steve got a confused look on his face and answered, "Yeah, I guess." He had never considered any thoughts about the name.





Later, when the friend mentioned the conversation between Steve and him to my sister, she laughed and told him his name was LeRoy Ford.


We have had many laughs about the whole thing in the years since then. It was a very understandable mistake because Steve had never heard the name LeRoy in his whole life!

3 Comments:

At June 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not real sure he knows now what his first name was!! Just kidding, he probably does but he might not!

 
At June 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, actually the same thing happened to me. I remember one summer when you came for a visit and, maybe you were telling this story, but someone asked me what Ford's name was and I said, "Ford Ford." Everyone started laughing because I didn't know his name was Leroy. I feel better now knowing I wasn't the only one who didn't know! nh

 
At June 7, 2008 at 7:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember asking Grandma when I was about 6 or 7 if Ford's name was "Ford Ford." She laughed and told me his first name was LeRoy. Of course, she pronounced it the East Texas way -- a really long "e" and drawled out. More like Lee Roy. I remember her telling me she thought the way Ford's mother said his name was odd -- with the accent on the Roy. You know Grandma -- I think she thought that was "uppity." The East Texas way had to be right!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home