Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Mermaid Lady

Once when I was in about the third grade there was an exhibit that came to Paris, Texas, by train. The exhibit was a lady who was billed as the Mermaid Lady. Our school sponsored a field trip to the train depot so that any student who wanted to see her could go. Of course it cost a fee but I don't remember how much. I am sure it was not much or I couldn't have gone.


The Mermaid Lady was inside one of the cars of the train. She had a bed and was lying on the bed on her side. You could see her whole body--even though she was clothed. Her legs were exposed and while there were two of them and they were covered in kind of a fish scale type of skin, they were kind of useless and deformed. She talked to the lookers and answered their questions. She was an intelligent person. I was really impressed with her and had never seen anything like that in my life.


In later years I saw her picture in a book I found which featured freak people. They made their living by traveling in side shows letting people see them. Some of them, I am told, made a lot of money in their time. A sad way to make money but then they really didn't have much choice!

4 Comments:

At July 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma used to tell a mermaid story. I can't remember all the details, but one of her uncles, I think it was, claimed to have seen a mermaid sitting on a rock in the river.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like I do recall Mama talking about a mermaid but I can't remember any else about it. I bet if Sara was still with us she would remember!

 
At July 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was Uncle Oliver, Ma's brother who saw the Mermaid sitting on a rock. I don't know if he drank or not but that could have neen why he saw her.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember her telling that story too! I'm like ya'll though...I don't remember too many details. I wish I had written down some of those tales when I remembered them. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home