Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Goldfish

Once years ago I had one of my brainstorms. I bought a fish bowl, rocks, and all of the ornaments that you put in aquariums and about three goldfish. I was so proud of my new toys. I placed the aquarium on a table in front of the window in my living room. It really looked beautiful.


I spent a lot of time watching my fish and really enjoyed them. Someone told me that fish need sun. Since my window faced East and the morning sun always shown in mostly until noon, I thought I will open the drapes so the fish can get some morning sun. I hate to tell you this but I am a late sleeper and I slept late that morning and the fish were in the sun until almost noon.



I was shocked when I got up to look in on the fish and they were all floating, belly up! I could not believe that three hours of direct sun had cooked the fish!


I felt terrible. I did replace the fish. Then I made sure that I never left them in the sun more than an hour or so at one time.


Later, I realized how much time and work an aquarium requires. And If you don't clean it often enough it is also smelly. I kept the fish until they finally died and then I disposed of the aquarium and all of its decorations and I wrote off fish as an unpleasant hobby. Now the only fish I have around my place is the tuna, halibut, salmon, cod, fishsticks or fresh caught fish for a meal!

2 Comments:

At July 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to have an aquarium and loved it, but they can be a lot of work. I've been told that the bigger the tank the easier the up-keep. If you have a good filter, they can be very low maintenance. We loved ours, but when the kids were little and we were so busy, we opted to get rid of it. I would love to have a salt water tank some day. The salt water fish are beautiful. nh

 
At July 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My piano teacher has a salt water aquarium. It is beautiful! Almost makes you feel like you're somewhere in the Caribbean.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home