Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Beach Glass from Lake Michigan





We have been to Michigan many times over the years. We have been to Warren Dunes some of the time and the other place that was one of our favorites was Petosky State Park. That is where we found most of the beach glass.


I would wade along the edge of the lake barefoot, and look for the beach glass and also for Petosky stones(Another post about that later). The beach glass is easy to find--especially the brighter colors. I found blue, green, brown and some red. The red is one of the more rare finds.


They are usually small pieces, about an inch or so in size , and they are so smooth and rounded from the time they have been in the lake--maybe for years and years! The constant friction from the water and sand causes them to become very smooth.
The compote in the picture is my total collection of beach glass and that was collected over a period of quite a few years. I display it in my china cabinet. If it is stored where light can hit it, it is a really pretty sight.


Sadly, I do not have the chance to go and hunt for it as I used to. But my beautiful display of it brings back many memories of the best times of our lives when we were able to travel and do all of those fun things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home