Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm losing them!






Why can't someone come up with elastic that will last as long as the material that ladies' underwear is made of? I have a drawer full of perfectly good underwear in which the elastic is completely shot.

I have repaired many of them over the years when elastic was not expensive. It was not a hard job and I got many more months, or even years of wear from them after replacing the elastic. But now elastic has gotten a lot more expensive making it unprofitable to spend the money to do it.

So now, I look for elastic at garage sales and thrift stores to make it reasonably economical to do the repairs.

A lot of people, including my own daughters, just toss out good underwear just because they have lost the elastic in them. With all the new technologies and improvements that have been discovered, or invented, in the past few years you would think that some smart cookie would have thought of this problem and done something to solve it.

In the meantime I am saving my old underwear to repair when that smart cookie shows up!

2 Comments:

At August 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hint for you, to make the elastic on your underwear last a lot longer. It works for me! Several years ago I was purchasing some new underwear. I commented to the sales lady that underwear seem to get a dingy look and not be as white after a while and that the elastic got weaker. She ask me if I put them in the dryer, which I did. She told me if I would not dry them in the dryer that they would stay whiter and also last a lot longer, because the heat of the dryer caused some of those problems. She was right! I never wash my lingerie with other things and I do not dry them in the dryer. I hang them over the shower doors. They dry very fast and look very nice. It does make them stay nice a lot longer.

 
At August 21, 2008 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just buy the cheapo Hanes or Fruit of the Looms, and when the elastic's shot, they go in the trash.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home