Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17--My grandma's birthday

My grandma and her brother, Uncle Oliver Bright and My grandma with her daughters




My Grandmother, my Mother's mother, was born on August 17th, 1865. She lived with my family most of my life that I lived there.



Back in those days people didn't have Social Security. So she and my grandpa didn't have the money to live on their own. Later on they did receive an old age pension from the government which helped but they still could not afford to live on their own after my grandpa retired from working. So they lived with us.




I remember her today because it is her birthday. She would be 143 if she were still living. She died on January 5, 1947 at the age of 82. I remember well how sick she was before she died. It was a blessing when she went because of her pain and suffering.



She had thirteen children and raised 11 of them to maturity. Two died as infants and two died as young adults.




She has been gone for 61 years but I still think of her often and remember her sitting in her rocking chair by the stove in the winter. She was a great lady!











2 Comments:

At August 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was a great lady indeed! I remember when I was a small child I was very close to her. In her last years her health was so bad that I didn't get to enjoy her as much but still loved her dearly.

 
At August 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She died before I was born, but Grandma talked about her so much to me, I feel like I know her. Having seen her pictures and known so much about her, it just seems that when I think of her, I'm thinking of someone I actually got to sit down and talk to. She's one of the first people I want to see when I get to heaven!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home