Thursday, September 11, 2008

Boxer Shorts

Boxer shorts from flour sack material similar to the ones I made for Ford


The shorts in this picture are similar to the ones I made from flour sack material for Ford, my husband. One difference is that his shorts didn't have a ribbon tie.


Back in the late forties and fifties you could buy flour that came in bags of material which was floral, striped, checked and many different designs, It was a sturdy, good material and many people made things from them.


Money was hard to come by then and so I decided to make some boxer shorts for my husband. I bought a pattern for boxer shorts and looked for the material which was the most mannish looking. Actually, there wasn't any available, I had gotten the material from a friend who had access to the flour sacks for free. So I ended up choosing material with purple designs sort of in a stripe. The material in the picture was as close as I could find that looked anything like what I used.


I made several pair of them and if I do say so myself, they fit rather nicely and turned out professional looking.


If you know my husband you would never expect him to wear anything like those shorts! But he did wear them until they were worn into threads and never complained. Maybe he didn't want to hurt my feelings!


I saved a lot of money by making them and I contributed to an environmental savings by recycling the flour sacks!

2 Comments:

At September 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew that Ford wore flour sack shorts!! Wish I could ask him about them! I guess when you come you could make Cotton some but, I don't know where we would get the flour sacks!

 
At September 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Eiffel towers on the ones in the picture -- now if they just had red cowboy hats on them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home