Monday, September 8, 2008

Persimmons

A Persimmon tree


Do you know what persimmons are? I never see them anymore, even in grocery stores. I think they probably only grow in the southern part of the country. I know we used to have them in Texas when I was a kid. We always managed to find a persimmon tree somewhere not far from our house. We lived on the edge of the city at one time and there were woodsy areas not far from us. So my Mom and Dad would search out a persimmon tree somewhere so we could have fresh persimmons in the fall. They were around only for a short time before they got frozen and were no longer good to eat

If they grow in Indiana I have never seen them anywhere around here. I am sure they grow mostly in Texas.

My Mother loved persimmons and so did I. They are kind of a strange fruit. If you eat them before the frost comes they are very, I actually don't know what to call it, it is an astringent, tart, puckery taste and very unpleasant. But after the frost comes they are delicious and sweet. I don't know of anything my Mother ever did with them in a way of preserving them. We just ate them fresh right off the tree. They have a lot of seeds in them.

I can still taste the puckery, terrible taste if you ate them too soon, before they were ripe. But after that they were really a treat! I would like to know where I could get some right now!

1 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 12:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took Grandma persimmons when she was in the nursing home a couple of times. Where we used to live, there was a persimmon tree in the vacant lot behind our house. I know can get persimmons from a friend of ours who has a persimmon tree in her yard. If anyone has ever eaten an unripe persimmon, they will never forget it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home