Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mutt, Our Puppy

MUTT
Back in 1946 when we were driving our old Model A Ford we had this cute little puppy. Ford's sister and her family had gotten a puppy and they named it Toots. The people who gave them their puppy had more of them so we decided to get one also. The dogs were part Rat Terrier and part Fox Terrier but did not have any papers.

We named him Mutt--I should say Ford named him that. I would have picked a prettier name. However, he became Mutt.


We could not have a dog at our apartment so he stayed at my mother-in-law's house. I was taking a trip to Texas that summer and I decided that I would take the dog with me. We made a kennel for him and He went right along on the train to Texas with me.


I had problems in Saint Louis because when I changed trains they said I had to have papers showing that he was vaccinated before I could get him on the train. So I had to hunt up a veterinarian and take him to get vaccinated.


After all that we did end up in Texas. I was there for several weeks and then we came home to Fort Wayne. Shortly after that Mutt became sick, He had convulsions. So I took him to the vet and found that he had Distemper, a serious, incurable disease for animals. I am sure that he picked it up in Texas because he had played with other dogs there. In the end he had to be euthanized.

So his trip to Texas was not a good one for him. We had him less than a year but I loved him dearly and became very attached to him in that time. The dog that Ford's sister had chosen from the same litter lived to be about 18 years old.

1 Comments:

At September 14, 2008 at 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our little dog, Butch, died from distemper, too. When we get Katie her shots every year, we just tell them to give whatever they got. I guess they work -- she's 13 years old, and has rarely been sick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home