Monday, September 15, 2008

The Philadelphia Inquirer

The Philadelphia Inquirer

Back when I was just a kid my Dad used to buy a newspaper called the Philadelphia Inquirer every weekend. It was a daily newspaper but he only bought the weekend edition. It was a big, thick paper with a colored comic section. I don't know what attracted my Dad to the paper but something did! I was attracted to the comic section. The Philadelphia Inquirer is still being published but I have not read it in many years. I wonder if it would still be as fascinating to me as it was back then?

Anyway, on Wednesday the weekend paper was available so we bought it at Murphy's Drug Store. My Dad would buy the paper and a big cigar. Then we would head home and spend the evening in a cigar smoke filled room and scattered papers all over the floor and table. My Dad spent hours reading and studying whatever it was that fancied his attention in the paper. I would read those comics and live all the action in them right along with the characters.

I can still smell the cigar smoke and the newsprint odor as if it were yesterday!

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2008 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandpa was a very intelligent man. I'm sure he remembered everything he read in that paper. Until he died, the newspaper was still the highlight of his day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home