Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crater of Diamonds State Park

Lana Kay and Carla Sue

This is a picture of my two girls at the entrance of The Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. It is the world's only diamond producing site open to the public. You get to keep what you find regardless of its value. It is the oldest and most famous diamond mine in North America.

We were there back in about 1960 or near that time. We hunted for about an hour and because of the extreme heat and the fact that I had a splitting headache we didn't tarry too long. We did not find any diamonds. I think the possibility of finding a diamond was remote. They do claim that some large diamonds have been found there.

I was expecting much more than was there. It was just like a country garden patch. People were dotted all around digging and hunting for diamonds. I had visions of finding a giant diamond and getting rich--what a dreamer I am!

Anyway, just to say that we were there is kind of a good experience. The only diamond I will ever have is the tiny little stone in my engagement ring (I treasure that!).

1 Comments:

At October 31, 2008 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little boy from the Dallas area found a large diamond there in the last year or so. They do still turn up there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home