Saturday, January 10, 2009

Roller Skating










When I first met Ford, at the Barrett's Roller rink back in 1942, I could barely skate. I could only skate forward and could not even think of doing any dance steps . I began seeing a lot of the soldiers doing fancy dance skating and I was fascinated by it.






Then after I started dating Ford I realized that he was a very good skater and he could do a lot of the fancy dancing on skates. He began teaching me some of the dances. We could do the waltz, the Flea Hop, which was a kind of jitterbug thing, another dance called the Collegiate and I learned to skate backwards. I had to learn that in order to do some of the dances we did.



I was never as good as the people in the pictures above but I always strove to get that good!


After some time I learned to skate good enough that we put quite a show on when we skated. I loved it. However, I never in all my years of skating was nearly as good at it as Ford was. I managed to hang on to him and do the things we did but I never was very good at skating alone.


We went to some skating classes after we came to Indiana and got some medals for our participation in them. Then we had kids and the skating got kind of pushed into the background. I still have our old skates on a shelf in the garage but, sadly, they will never get used again.


But I still think of all the fun we had when we did skate. I guess memories are better than nothing!

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so envious! I always wanted to be able to do those things, but alas, I have two left feet! Wish I could have seen you!

 
At January 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you and Ford were such good skaters! I think I only went skating once in my life. By the time I was old enough to go...daddy never would let me. He said the rink was no longer a fit place to be. Actually I think he overreacted...but nevertheless, he wouldn't let me go even with friends. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home