Friday, March 13, 2009

The Oily Lunchbox



My Dad always took his lunch with him every day when he worked for the City and when he worked for the Highway department. He carried the lunch box with him in the truck because he was sometimes out in the county somewhere and had to eat while on the job.


Sometimes he might have a little bit of his lunch left that he didn't eat so he would bring it home. We kids learned pretty quickly that we didn't want to eat that! It had a strong taste of oil to it. By being in the truck the lunches and the lunch box acquired the taste of the fumes of oil and gas from the engine of the truck.


My Mother always said she didn't see how he could stand to eat the food because of the oily smell and taste. My Dad said he didn't notice it. Either because he was so accustomed to eating it or because he had a smell disfunction, he really didn't mind eating the food.


His lunch box was exactly like the one in the picture above. He also had a thermos bottle that my Mother would fill with iced tea or hot coffee, depending on the weather. Of course he always drank that so I don't know if it had the same oily taste or not. But I can, until this day, remember that terrible oily taste of the leftover food from his lunch box!

1 Comments:

At March 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same way his clothes smelled when he came home -- I remember he would head for the bathtub as soon as he got home in the afternoons. Even now when I pass a section of road being paved and smell that tar and oil, I think of Grandpa.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home