Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mnemonics--Huh?











Mnemonics is a gimmick to bring to your mind things you want to remember.


One example of mnemonics is the phrase, righty tighty lefty loosey. It reminds you that to loosen a screw or anything that needs removed you turn right to tighten and left to loosen.


Another one is the little poem, thirty days hath September , April, June and November. That reminds you of which months have thirty days. And a third is Homes, which is the letters starting the names of the great lakes.


I used that method many, many times while I was in college to get through my exams. And many of them I remember even today.


In music, I am sure you remember every good boy does fine for the lines of the treble clef and face for the spaces on the treble clef; all cows eat grass grass for the spaces of the base clef and good boys do fine always for the lines of the base clef.


For a weather prediction there is, Red sky at night, a sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning sailors take warning.


For grammar there is, I before E except after C. I use that one often when I am writing my posts for my blog.


mnemonics is very much a part of my memory. I would be lost without it!








1 Comments:

At October 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A girl recently wrote a letter to the editor. She said her teacher had given them a "pneumonic" to help them remember a certain rule. Perhaps he should give them a mnemonic to help them remember "mnemonic." Being a CPA, GA is very familiar with mnemonics and acronyms. There are dozens of them to help them remember all the accounting rules. One of them is GAAP -- Generally Accepted Accounting Practice. He recently took a require ethics course. The instructor gave them a new one -- Cleverly Rigged Accounting Ploy -- CRAP.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home