Wednesday, November 10, 2010

SMOKING




I was raised up to think that if a woman smoked she was doomed to hell. My mother believed that that was just the way it was. It was OK for a man to smoke--but not a woman!
My Dad smoked a pipe, and sometimes cigars, for as long as I can remember. That was fine with my Mother. But if a woman smoked it disgusted her to no end.
I remember my mother even asking one of my aunts to please not smoke in our house because she didn't want her girls to see it. I think the aunt was offended but she didn't walk out or anything like that.
I can't explain why she thought it was OK for a man to smoke but not women. In later years I think she became a little more tolerant of smoking women but she still thought they were doomed to hell.
It was not for health reasons that she believed it was wrong but for religious reasons. In our time now you can understand why people think it is wrong to smoke because of all the scientific proof of damage to the body because of it. But back in my Mother's day they had not discovered all of the things they now know about smoking. So her reason was strictly religious.
I am glad I never started smoking. I certainly could not have smoked at home because of her objections. After I married Ford he didn't approve of it either. So I never really had the chance to start the habit.
I think I am much healthier because of it. But I never have known why she thought it was OK for a man but not a woman.

2 Comments:

At November 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She also thought it was sinful to go to a movie on Sunday but watching TV was ok.

 
At November 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made me think of our dear friend Joe McCollum. Gene used to laugh at him -- when he saw a woman smoking, he would say, "Look at that cigarette-sucking Jezebel." Now Gene says it all the time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home