Thursday, November 11, 2010

Snuff Dipping




We had a next door neighbor when I was just a kid, actually she was our landlord.
She was a hardcore snuff dipper. You never saw her without snuff in her mouth. If you went into her house she always had a spittoon near her chair and a little elm twig that was chewed up on the end protruding from her lips. She used that to take new dips of the snuff into her cheek. I've been told that elm twigs made very good snuff dippers and were also good for cleaning your teeth. I don't know since I have never touched a bit of snuff.
I can remember vividly the sharp smell that emanated from her breath when she talked. She was a nice lady and was good to us but she did love her snuff. Her snuff bottles looked like the brown one in the picture above. Sometimes she had little dribbles of snuff collected in the wrinkles at the side of her mouth. It made you want to take a tissue and wipe her mouth!
She has been gone for many years. I wonder if God let her bring her snuff with her into Heaven?

2 Comments:

At November 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really never thought of her as nice! She was always trying to make a dime off you!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My great-granny on daddy's side of the family dipped snuff. She always wanted to hug me when we went to Big Grandma's, and I can remember how I hated that snuff smell.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home