Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Cowboy Boots

You surely know that if you live in Texas you have to have had a pair of cowboy boots at some time in your life! I was born and raised in Paris, Texas. I lived there until 1946 when I moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana.


When I was a sophomore in high school I saw these white cowboy boots and I set my mind to getting them. They were expensive even for that time. I finally begged my mother long enough that she broke down and let me buy them.


I wore them to school and I found out that they were not the most comfortable shoes I had ever worn! But I looked up to date and western and that was what mattered.


I felt very chic in the boots and loved them in spite of their toe-pinching and heel- rubbing pains. Gradually, I adjusted to the pains and I could wear them without too much hurting!


After the novelty wore off and I found out how much white shoe polish and how much elbow grease it took to keep them looking their best I did lose the zest for wearing them all the time. Eventually, they found their way to the back of the closet where, in the end, they were forgotten. I had had my 15 minutes of fame with my white cowboy boots and I returned to my comfortable old loafers!

1 Comments:

At April 29, 2008 at 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved boots -- not just cowboy boots, but any kind of boots. Unfortunately, my foot was very narrow, and my shoes had to come from the pricier stores that carried my odd size. I usually had only one or two pairs of shoes at a time, and I wore them until they were worn out, then I could get another pair. I remember getting only one pair of boots in my life, and that was after I married. But those boots were quite comfortable, and I wore them until they just couldn't be worn anymore.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home