Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A 25 cent Lunch!

How would you like getting a regular size pimento-cheese sandwich, with an olive and potato chips on the side, and a large coke for your lunch for only 25 cents?


That -- 25 cents-- is what I paid for my lunch many times when I was in high school (1939-1942). We had Palace number I and Palace number II drug stores that were only about two blocks from the high school I attended. Many days when the weather was good several of my friends and I would go to one or the other of the two stores during the hour we had off for lunch. Both stores had the same menu and prices for their lunch items so we would decide which store we wanted to delight with our presence for that day and head out for the lucky one..


For the 25 cents you got a regular size sandwich with a generous amount of pimento-cheese, lettuce and tomato on it; a large olive on a toothpick stuck in the top of the sandwich; an equally generous amount of potato chips on the side, and you got a large coke or whatever to go with it, all for one quarter (oh, for the joy of that time again!). The Palace also had other sandwiches to choose from but the meat sandwiches were a little higher priced-- about 50 cents, maybe-- still unbelievable!



These days you can't buy any sandwich at our fast food places, or any where else for that matter, for less than one dollar -- that is for the smallest size (and forget the olive and potato chips!) and drinks are also at least a dollar.


With our family's small budget at that time I still could not buy my lunch every day even at those prices. Some days I had to make my sandwich at home. My mother would make fried pies, cookies or butter rolls (I'll tell you about butter roles in another post!) for me to take in my lunch. Everything tasted so much better back in those days (or has my taste changed?).

1 Comments:

At April 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything did taste better back then - those drug stores made their own pimento cheese. Everything's mass produced now. We do have a little bakery here that has really good homemade pimento cheese sandwiches, but it's about $5-$6 for the sandwich, chips, and a glass of tea.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home