Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tonsillectomy

When I was about six I had my tonsils removed. I was having sore throats, gland swellings and earaches all the time. The doctor said I needed to have my tonsils taken out. Not only was he going to remove my tonsils, he was also going to remove my adenoids. Since school was starting very soon my mother wanted to get it done before school started.



So the surgery was set up. My mother took me to the doctor's office very early one morning. Since a clinic was right there at the doctor's office that is where the surgery would take place.



I can remember very well when they put me to sleep. The doctor told me to count backwards from 10. I started out 10, 9, 8, 7... and that is about as far as I remember. The next thing I knew I was lying on a bed in a darkened room and my mother was right there by the bed. I remember feeling so strange and woozy.



After I recovered a little from the anesthetic my mother told me that the doctor said I could have some ice cream when I felt like I could eat it. Of course I was ready then! Eating it was not as much fun as I had thought it would be because my throat hurt when I swallowed. Anyway, I spent most of the day at the clinic and then we could go home. I don't remember having any problems at all after that and I did start school on the first day, which was a couple of weeks after my surgery. That was the end of my sore throats, gland swellings and earaches. My surgery was a success!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home