Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bantam Chicks

My uncle Frank once gave my sister and me a Bantam hen and rooster. Banties were what we called them. They were the cutest little pair of chicks you ever could see. We had a small chicken coop that we kept them in at night. It was made with a detachable floor, or base, so it could be easily cleaned.



The Banties were pure white and with their red combs they were adorable. We had them for about a year and were very attached to them.



My grandpa one morning had removed the coop off the floor so he could clean it. He had finished the cleaning and was replacing the coop back on the floor and the little hen tried to get in it and got her head caught between the coop and the floor. My grandpa didn't see her so she was caught by the neck and it killed her instantly! We were crushed. The little rooster was also crushed. He ran around like he was the chicken with its head off. He was so lost for a while. But time heals all wounds so he eventually got over it. I think we had him for some time after that before he met his doom (I can't remember what his doom was!).

1 Comments:

At April 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that but the part I think I remember but hope I'm wrong is maybe we had the little hen for supper that night!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home