Thursday, April 24, 2008

Butter Rolls

I promised a post about Butter Rolls so here it is. Butter Rolls were a delicious little invention of my mother's. They were fought over at school for trading for other students goodies at lunchtime.



My mother would take pie dough and roll it out into circles and then put in a filling of butter, sugar, and sometimes cocoa if she wanted to make chocolate ones. She would then fold the dough over and seal the edges. She then put them in a skillet and let them fry on one side, turned them over and let them fry on the other side. While they were frying she would take the spatula and press down on them and squeeze the melted butter and sugar out and it would caramelize and stick to the dough and make a delicious sugary crust over the whole outside of the roll. They were mouth-watering delicious. I could trade them for most anything else another kid had. However, it had to be something extra special for me to trade them away because I liked them so well myself!



My mother made them always out of real butter. I think that is why I cannot make one now that comes out the same as hers --I use margarine instead of butter. But I have tried a few times with real butter and I just can't make them to taste as delicious as hers. That might be another example of a taste change on my part.



I really long for just one mouthwatering bite of my mother's scrumptious Butter Rolls!


1 Comments:

At April 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her fried fruit pies were scrumptious, too, as were her teacakes. I've tried to make her teacakes, and they're just not the same. I've come pretty close to her biscuits, but they're still not Grandma's! NK says my soup is like Grandma's, and I think it comes pretty close, but I've never met anybody who could cook like she could with no cookbooks, no standard measuring utensils, and the ugliest pots and pans you ever saw.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home