Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Fab Four

Left to Right: Smitty, Louie, Ford and Dutch--the Fab Four


I am sure you have heard of the Fab Four--meaning the Beatles. Well, I know of another group that we referred to as the Fab Four. My husband and three of his friends who knew each other in high school and they all grew up in Huntington, Indiana. There was a fifth one but he got killed in WWII. The other four have kept in touch for all of these years until their deaths in the past ten years. We, meaning my husband and me, and all of the other three and their wives have seen each other over the years at Christmas time, vacation times and whenever we could find time.


It is unusual for four friends to keep so close in touch and see each other so much over the long period that they did, At least 65 years. One of them moved to Mississippi, one moved to California and the other two stayed in Fort Wayne. Even though they were separated by miles it didn't stop them from keeping in touch and visiting as often as possible.


I had lots of girlfriends when I was young but over time I gradually lost track of them and now I never see them or hear anything from them. But nothing kept the Fab Four from seeing and keeping in touch with each other. The last one of the Fab Four to die was my husband. He died in 2000. the first one to die was Louie and he died in the year 1991. All of the wives are also dead except for me and one other, Louie's wife. She now lives in California. We do communicate at Christmas time but that is all.


Have you ever heard of such a loyal friendship as that? I hope they are all together in Heaven now playing golf, which they all liked to do.

3 Comments:

At August 7, 2008 at 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great picture of Ford. I love this post!

 
At August 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a spiffy looking group! You're right...it's very unusal for friends to stay that close for that long. nh

 
At August 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone had friendships like that? The mother of one of my high school friends had a "Golden Girls" party for several of us the year we all turned 50. None of us had really kept in close touch through the years, but that started something. From that party, we planned and carried out a class reunion, and now the original "Golden Girls" meet at least 3 or 4 times a year for a good old gossip-fest. We have so much enjoyed renewing our friendship, and as other of our classmates hear about our little group, it's beginning to grow. I guess the older we get, the more we appreciate each other.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home