Monday, September 22, 2008

Laundry Bluing

Mrs. Stewart's bluing



Some of you may think I have lost my mind with that title! I think laundry bluing is a thing of the past--for laundry, at least.

Back when I was a kid Mrs. Stewart's bluing was a staple in our house. It had a place on the shelf where other laundry supplies were kept. My Mother always used it to make our white things look whiter. It was a blue liquid that was put in the last tub of water that the clothes were rinsed in. It tended to make things look a lot whiter.


Mrs. Stewart's bluing was born in the early 1880s. From the article I read it is still being used for a lot of things not associated with laundry: for rinsing gray hair to make it look whiter, for swimming pools to make the water a prettier blue, to soothe wasp and bee stings and other uses such as medical dyes and to trace leaks in automotive cooling systems.


I have never used bluing at all during my lifetime but I do remember it well because my Mother used it regularly. I can still remember the familiar bottle it came in.

So, while it is obsolete as a laundry product it is still useful in many other ways.


I wonder if Mrs. Stewart could be Martha Stewart's grandmother?




1 Comments:

At September 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see Grandma bent over swishing those clothes around in the bluing water! I always though Mrs. Stewart looked like a rather stern old woman.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home