Sunday, March 15, 2009

Living Alone at 82

Hot Water Heater and Furnace

I am 82 years old and I live alone. I manage very well. I do have help with my lawn mowing but everything else I can do easily.

I think often about how people in my situation could have survived fifty or one hundred years ago living alone.

For one thing I have a car and I can still drive. It may be a different story when I can no longer drive. I buy all of my groceries, do all of my shopping , paying bills and errands and never think about needing anyone to help me.

One hundred years ago I would have probably heated my house with wood or coal, meaning I would have to either buy my wood or cut it myself-- at 82?--had to heat my wash water for clothes, the same for bath water. Then manage to empty the wash water and bath water in some manner since there were no drains and sinks in houses then, at least not many of them.

I would have had to build fires in the morning to keep the house warm all day and then either keep them going at night or let them die out and freeze during the night.


Now I have a furnace that does its thing 24/7 and I never have to touch it except if I want to lower or raise the temperature, then I just touch a little button to do that. I also have a water heater that gives me hot water at the turn of the faucet.


I thank God every day for all of my precious modern conveniences that allow me to live alone at 82!

2 Comments:

At March 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does what you do easily include vacuuming?

 
At March 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, no. I can do maybe one room at a time but no more than that! I kind of forgot about vacuuming when I wrote that blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home