Friday, May 15, 2009

Night Games

A Firefly




Pie Irons








The items shown above are some of the things that we used to entertain ourselves with when we sat out at night. They are called pie irons. You could make delicious snacks in them if you had a camp fire. We never did that when I was a kid but we have many times with our friends when we camped.

In the other picture is a firefly, or a lightening bug, as we used to call them. We used to catch them and put them in a jar for fun.

We didn't have nearly as many fireflies in Texas when I was a kid as we do here in Indiana. My grandchildren have a ball catching them in the summer when they visit me.

When I was a kid we used to sit out in our yard at night and we would play games. Sometimes our parents would sit out with us--other times just we kids would stay out as long as they would allow us and play games or just have fun looking at the night sky. Then at the appropriate time we would be made to come in for bed.

Now, in this time, hardly anyone sits out in their yard any more. There is too much crime and bad things going on. You want to be inside where you are much safer. Back then we never had the least idea that we were not safe in our own yard at night playing games and catching fireflies.


It is sad that kind of fun was taken away from people. I will always remember what fun we had playing outside at night. Now I never venture out at night even in my own yard. My neighborhood is a good one but still sometimes things happen and I feel safer in my house at night.

But I still remember how much fun all of us kids had playing outside at night in those olden days.

1 Comments:

At May 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember making cherry pies with those pie irons. MMMMMMMMM!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home