Saturday, July 11, 2009

How I Met Ford

Picture made Summer of 1943


Most of you already know that I met Ford at Barrett's Roller skating Rink. He was in the service and was stationed at Camp Maxey. Most of the soldiers came in to town for their entertainment and there was not much entertainment in Paris except for the skating rink or maybe a movie.

I went skating a lot back then and so I happened to meet Ford there. We started skating together and he taught me a lot about skating ( among other things!). All I could do before I met him was just skate forward and not too well at that.

He taught me to skate backwards and also several kinds of dance steps. He could skate circles around anyone there at the rink! I thought he was the cat's pajamas!

Anyway, we skated and dated for about three months and then we got serious. He was going to be shipped to an army camp in Taylor, Texas and we were worried about being apart. So he said, "Well you could go there with me." I replied that I couldn't unless we were married. He said, "That is what I meant." So that was my proposal.

We got married about a week later and I went to Taylor, Texas . That is when I got the apartment at Rip Torn's grandmother's house. We stayed at that apartment about eight months and then he was shipped to New Jersey and on to Europe soon after. I was at New Jersey for about a month before he was shipped out to Europe, specifically, to Germany.

So we met at Barrett's Skating Rink and--as the old saying goes--We have been going around together ever since! That is until he died nine years ago.

That all seems just like yesterday but it has been 66 years ago. How time flies! I am just waiting until I can see him again in Heaven because I know he is there!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home