Saturday, August 9, 2008

Churning Butter




We always had a cow most of the time when I was a kid. My Mother would have pans of milk in the ice box to cool and to let the cream rise on the milk. After the cream came to the top, which might take several hours, she would pour the milk slowly into another pan to collect the cream.



After she had collected a couple of gallons of cream then she would churn it to make the butter. She would push the dasher up and down until the cream turned to butter. She then skimmed the butter out of the milk (it floated on the top) and she used a paddle to remove the rest of the milk out of the butter. Then she put the butter into a butter mold. We had a square one and a round one. The round one had a flower design on the bottom so that when she took the butter out of the mold the flower design was on the top of the butter. The square one was just a pound of butter with no design on it.

We always had butter for all of our baking and for spreading on bread. I liked butter then but now I prefer margarine to butter. I also loved to drink the butter milk after it was chilled.


The churn we had was similar to the one pictured above. It was about a foot and a half tall and 9 or 10 inches around. It took maybe about 10 or 15 minutes of churning to make the cream turn to butter. Your arms would get pretty tired by that time. I liked it for a few minutes and then I would let my Mother take over.


Now all I have to do is open a box of margarine or a carton of milk for our use. I am really glad I don't have to churn the butter!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home