Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mrs. Sluder's Sixth Grade Class

Mrs. Sluder's Sixth grade class

This is my sixth grade class. I am the girl on the right end of the front row.


I well remember Mrs. Sluder. She is the lady on the left end of the back row. I have been impressed with her for all of my years since the sixth grade.


She was the only teacher I ever had who said a prayer every morning that we were in school--not an already printed prayer but one she said from her heart. These days teachers are not allowed to do that. Does that tell you why kids are so un- manangeable today? They have no role model for living a good, clean and upright life. A lot of Mrs. Sluder rubbed off onto the kids in her class, whether they realized it or not. I really respect her for her courage to show her class what she thought was right. I truly wish that teachers could do more to encourage their students to be all that they can be and live up to the high standards that Mrs. Sluder displayed in her classroom.


I don't know how Mrs. Sluder was rated as a teacher but as a moral, good person I rated her tops.

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had Mrs. Sluder when I was in the 7th @ 8th grade. I really don't remember much about the prayer, but I do remember that she was a great teacher and I loved her! According to the information I have Mrs. Sluder died in April, 1991 at the age of 101!

 
At August 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a difference there would be in our country today if there were a whole host of Mrs. Sluders! I think back on my elementary school teachers, and there was not a doubt that everyone of them were fine, upstanding, God-fearing ladies. In one of our schools recently, they had to reassign two teachers because one of them had been having an affair with the other one's husband, and they had a confrontation about it at school. And they dress like they're headed to the bar as soon as school is out.

I'll get off my soapbox now!

 
At August 14, 2008 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope some of Mrs. Sluder's family sees your blog....I'm sure it would warm their hearts to know how much she meant to you. Sara has been fortunate enough to have a couple of those gems through the years but they are a fading breed. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home