Friday, August 15, 2008

Walking Everywhere

Walking to school






When I was a kid we walked anywhere we had to go. We didn't have a car for a lot of my childhood. We did have a model T at one time and my Dad had an old DeSota for a while but mainly we had to walk.


I walked about two miles to go to school in whatever kind of weather was going on. I had an umbrella, boots, raincoat and whatever I needed to protect me from the weather. I remember loving the long walk home from school. Walking home was more fun than walking to school. We couldn't dally along on the way to school but going home we could. We picked as many different ways to go as were possible.



We lived about two miles from the business district where we shopped at stores. Most of the time we walked but my Mother sometimes rode a taxi or bus when she shopped because she would have packages to carry. My Dad walked at least two miles to his job.


Now people think you have to get in a car to go two blocks away! I am guilty of that also. My main concern is not the walking but the time you spend doing it. Our time is so valuable now that we can't afford to waste an hour walking when we can get there in five minutes.

I am sure that is why you see so many obese people now. They ride around in a car all the time instead of walking. I don't know the answer to the problem but it would be much better if everyone would do more walking instead of sitting in a car riding!

1 Comments:

At August 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to enjoy walking home from school. Up until I was in the fifth grade, we lived right across the street from the school, so that was no big deal. But when I was in the sixth grade, we moved about a mile and a half away. I walked home every afternoon. Those memories were brought to mind this week.

I used to walk home with one of my good friends whose house was about halfway between the school and our house. He died in 1975. I saw in the newspaper this week where his older sister passed away, and I thought of him and the fun we used to have walking home together.

I used to walk to the library every Saturday. I would often be there before it even opened, waiting to stock up on books for the week. I think we miss a lot these days, because you see so much more when the pace is slower.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home